The draw for the group stage of the European Champions League for the new season 2022-2023 was held, Thursday evening, in the Turkish city of Istanbul, and resulted in fiery groups, most notably the third group, which includes Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Spain, Inter Milan, and Victoria Plzen, the Czech Republic.
The Champions League group stage begins on September 6 and ends on November 2.
The results of the Champions League group draw were as follows:
- Group A: Ajax of the Netherlands, Liverpool of England, Napoli of Italy, Rangers of Scotland.
- Group B: Porto of Portugal, Atletico Madrid of Spain, Bayer Leverkusen of Germany, Club Brugge of Belgium.
- Group C: Bayern Munich, Barcelona, Spain, Inter Milan, Viktoria Plzen, Czech Republic.
- Group D: Eintracht Frankfurt, Germany, Tottenham Hotspur, Sporting Lisbon, Marseille, France.
- Group E: AC Milan, Chelsea, Red Bull Salzburg, Austria, Dinamo Zagreb, Croatia.
- Group F: Real Madrid of Spain, Leipzig of Germany, Shakhtar of Ukraine, Celtic of Scotland.
- Group G: Manchester City of England, Seville of Spain, Borussia Dortmund of Germany, Copenhagen of Denmark.
- Group H: Paris Saint-Germain, Juventus, Benfica, Maccabi Haifa.
The Turkish ambassador, Hamid Altintop, the Champions League final match and the Ivorian star Yaya Toure drew the group stage draw.
The first round of the Champions League group stage will take place on 6 and 7 September, the second on 13 and 14 of the same month, while the third, fourth, and fifth rounds will take place on 4, 5, 11, 12, 25 and 26 October, and finally the sixth round on 1 and 2 November.
The first and second-place winners from each group qualify for the round of 16, with the third-ranked player moving to the European League, while the bottom of the standings is deposited in the continental competitions.
It is worth noting that Real Madrid is the title holder of the last edition of the European Champions League, after its victory over Liverpool 1-0.