- The old competition format, which rewarded goals away from home, would not have influenced the identity of the contenders.
- In the 14 games played since the Round of 16, there have only been two extra times and no tie has gone to penalties.
This year UEFA debuted a new competition format eliminating the double value of goals in the opposite field and once the knockout rounds were over there was some curiosity to know if this formula had changed something along the way since the round of 16. Reviewing the 14 two-legged duels since the round of 16 and apart from the subjective evaluation that would suppose that this or that team would have approached a match in a different way if the rule existed, the conclusion left by the results is that the final would have been the same: Liverpool–Real Madrid.
In fact, it was an edition in which very little extra time was played. Of the 14 ties, only two went to extra time, both from Real Madrid, and none went to penalties. In the first, the result of the second leg against Chelsea was exactly the same after 90 minutes as in the first leg (1-3), which would also have required extra time. Not so in the semifinals against Manchester City. It would have been enough for Madrid to go 2-1 in regulation time to go through since they were down 4-3 in the first leg. It would have been the only pairing in which the development had changed somewhat, although not the name of the finalist.
This is how the 14 qualifiers were resolved with the overall result of adding the two games:
Round of 16:
- Benfica-Ajax (2-2 and 1-0). Overall: 3-2
- Inter-Liverpool (0-2 and 1-0) Aggregate: 1-2
- Villarreal-Juventus (1-1 and 3-0) Overall: 4-1
- RB Salzburg-Bayern Munich (1-1 and 1-7) Overall: 2-8
- Sporting Lisbon-Manchester City (0-5 and 0-0) Overall: 0-5
- Atlético de Madrid-Manchester United (1-1 and 1-0) Overall: 2-1
- Chelsea-Lille (2-0 and 2-1) Overall: 4-1
- PSG-Real Madrid (1-0 and 1-3) Aggregate: 2-3
- Benfica-Liverpool (1-3 and 3-3) Aggregate: 4-6
- Villarreal-Bayern Munich (1-0 and 1-1) Overall: 2-1
- Manchester City-Atletico Madrid (1-0 and 0-0) Overall: 1-0
- Chelsea-Real Madrid (1-3 and 3-2) Overall: (4-5 after extra time)
- Liverpool-Villarreal (2-0 and 2-3) Overall: 5-2
- Manchester City-Real Madrid 4-3 and 1-3 (5-6 after extra time)