According to press sources, citing informed sources, the US government is in talks with Huawei’s financial director (meng wanzhou) about a deal that could lead to her being returned to China from Canada if she admits to having committed a mistake in the case against her.
Meng’s attorneys have spoken to US Justice Department officials in recent weeks about entering into a so-called deferred prosecution agreement, the sources said. Further discussions are scheduled this week with the aim of reaching an agreement before the end of the Trump administration, the report added.
Meng, 47, was arrested at Vancouver International Airport on December 1, 2018, at the request of the United States, and charged with bank fraud, and accused of misleading HSBC about Huawei‘s business in Iran. Meng denied the charges and is now seeking to prevent her extradition.
Press sources said: According to the agreement that is being discussed now, the United States will agree to postpone or drop the charges against Meng if it acknowledges some of the allegations against her. She will also be able to return to China from Canada, where she will stay at home after being released on bail.
The report added that Meng had resisted the proposed deal so far because she believed she had done nothing wrong.
The arrest of Meng, who is the daughter of Huawei founder Ren Jingfei, was an escalation of tensions between the United States and China and against one of the most important technology companies in China.
The United States asserts that Huawei is a threat to national security, and is trying to convince other countries to prevent the company from 5G networks. Washington has also imposed a number of sanctions on Huawei, affecting its ability to purchase key components, such as chips.
A number of hearings have already taken place this year as part of Ming’s extradition trial that is expected to run for several more months. A deal between Meng and the United States could end it.