The Mozilla Foundation launched the latest update to the Firefox browser in 2020, called Firefox 84, which introduces some new features and improvements in the Android application version, and fixes some bugs in the desktop version, but the important feature is the original support for Mac computers running M1 processor New from Apple.
What are the details?
With this update, Firefox is the third major web browser – after Safari and Chrome – that supports new computers from Apple MacBook Air, MacBook Pro and Mac mini that run with the new Apple M1 processor as a result, and according to SpeedoMeter 2.0 testing, Mozilla reported that running The browser is 2.5 times faster than before, and web applications respond twice as fast than in the previous version that was not dedicated to the M1 processor.
However, there is a bug that prevents Firefox 84 from streaming videos and other media on new Mac computers, and accordingly you cannot run video streaming services, such as: Amazon Prime, Disney Plus, Hulu, and Netflix.
The company has not corrected this matter yet, but at the present time, you can restore the video broadcast in the browser for the previously mentioned services through the Rosetta 2 tool that allows you to run applications that are not officially supported to work in the new Mac computers.
In addition, Firefox 84 is the last version to support Adobe’s Flash Player software, and this version also includes Mozilla’s WebRender faster 2D rendering engine, which is compatible with macOS Big Sur and computers. Windows with 6th generation Intel GPUs, and laptops running Windows 7 and Windows 8.
What are the most prominent features of Firefox 84 in the Android app:
Firefox 84 is also an important update for Android application users, as Mozilla has introduced many new features, including a new tab display, which allows you to display tabs in a grid display in large sizes; This makes it easy to see, but you need to enable it first, and to do so, follow these steps:
- Update Firefox by going to the Google Play Store.
- After updating the browser, open it in your phone, then tap the three dots in the top right-hand side next to the URL bar.
- From the menu that appears, tap on the Settings option.
- In the window that appears, scroll down to the bottom, then click on the Tabs option.
- Under the Tab View section, choose the Grid option.
- Return to the Firefox main screen, then open the Tabs window to see the new layout.
Other features and improvements in Firefox 84 for Android users include:
- The option to delete downloaded files directly from the application interface.
- Improved scroll control and performance, as this includes better resolution, smoother graphics, and fixes to prevent sudden scroll acceleration.
- Many fixes for small bugs.