Sometimes; Your Chromebook may encounter performance problems that you can easily fix, but if the computer malfunctions and you are unable to overcome it in any way, here you can use the Chromebook Recovery Utility that helps you recover Chrome OS.
Here’s how to use the Recovery Utility to repair Chromebook:
Note: Using (Recovery Utility) can be a long and uncomfortable process, so if you can still use the computer, it is recommended to reset it to Factory Reset to fix minor problems, but if you see an error message: Chrome OS is missing or damaged, then you should You have to use the tool through the steps that we will mention for you in this article.
What are the requirements for using Chromebook Recovery Utility:
There are a few things you will need to fix a corrupted Chromebook, and they are:
- Another Chromebook computer other than the one you want to repair, or alternatively, you can also use a computer running Windows or Mac OS that has the Google Chrome browser installed.
- A USB flash drive with a capacity of at least 8 GB, and you can also use an external SD card if the computer has an SD card slot.
Note: All hard drive data in Chrome will be permanently deleted, including your downloaded files. So you should backup your files before recovering OS with this tool.
How to download the Chrome OS Recovery Utility:
Start the Chromebook that is running or the Windows or Mac OS computer, then follow these steps:
- On the computer, open the Google Chrome browser.
- On the Chrome Web Store, search for the Chromebook Recovery Utility, then install it on your computer.
- Open the tool on the computer, then click on the “Get Started” option.
- Select the computer model through the drop-down menu, or type the model number of the Chromebook that you want to repair, then click the (Continue) option.
- Insert your USB flash drive or SD card into the designated ports.
- Click the drop-down menu, then select the USB flash drive or SD card you just attached.
- Click on the (Continue) option, then choose (Create now).
- Once you see a message saying that the tool is ready, press the option (Done) and then remove the USB flash drive or SD card.
How to use the tool to repair a corrupted Chromebook:
to do this. Follow next steps:
- Remove all attachments attached to the damaged Chromebook, such as: speakers or a printer.
- Turn off the computer and restart it again.
- During boot up, enter recovery mode by pressing the Esc + Refresh + Power buttons on the keyboard, and if you are using a tablet computer then press the (Volume Up and Down, Power button) for 10 seconds.
- You will see a message informing you that the operating system is missing and that you must insert the USB drive or SD card that contains the recovery software.
- Insert the USB drive or SD card into the designated port on the computer, then follow the instructions that appear on the screen.
- Once completed, the computer will perform a restart, and this means that the recovery process has succeeded and you can use the computer once it is opened, and you can reformat the USB drive or SD card and use it to store or transfer files.