If you have upgraded to a new iPhone, and you are using the Google Authenticator app to secure your online accounts with the two-factor authentication (2FA) feature, you should transfer these accounts to your new phone as soon as possible; Because without the two-factor authentication codes in the new phone, you will not be able to access these accounts.
Here’s how to transfer the Google Authenticator app to your new iPhone:
Why should you use the two-factor authentication app in your phone?
2FA adds an extra layer of security to your online accounts by requesting a 6-digit input, which you create with an application. Then you can be sure that you are the only person who has access to your account, even if someone managed to obtain the password as a result of a security breach or fraud.
And now we find that most of the websites give you the option to use the Google Authenticator app to generate 2FA codes; Because it is more secure than receiving codes via SMS, so if you have used this app before and recently got a new phone, you will need to transfer it to your new phone in order to be able to use it for two-factor authentication.
It is worth noting that the Google Authenticator application is available for Android users in the Google Play Store, and for iPhone and iPad users in the App Store. This means that you can transfer the application from an Android phone to an iPhone or vice versa.
to do this. Follow next steps:
- First, install the Google Authenticator app on your new iPhone.
- Click this link on your computer’s web browser to visit the two-factor authentication page.
- Scroll to the bottom, then click on Get Started.
- Enter your Google account password, then click Next.
- Under the Two-Factor Authentication section, tap on the CHANGE PHONE option.
- Select iPhone, then press Next.
- Now open the Google Authenticator app on your new iPhone, then tap the (+) sign.
- At the bottom of the phone screen, select the Scan Barcode option.
- Using your iPhone camera, scan the code that you see on the webpage on your computer.
- After scanning the QR code, a 6-digit code will appear in the Google Authenticator app in the phone – this code changes every few minutes for security purposes – type the code in the required field to log in to your account on the computer, then press the Verify button.
Once you complete the previously mentioned steps, the accounts in your old phone will not be valid, and you will need to repeat the steps for each service or site where you use the Google Authenticator application to log you in, and remember: you must not delete the application from the old iPhone until you transfer all the accounts to your new phone Otherwise, you will be banned from accessing these accounts.