We’ve come a long way since fax machines and scanners were the primary means of scanning and sending documents, but today you don’t need additional equipment to scan and send documents, as you can do it directly from your iPhone.
How to scan documents in Notes using an iPhone:
- Locate and open the Notes app – it looks like a notepad – and if you can’t find it, just swipe up on your Home screen and search for (Notes).
- Now open an existing note, or start a new note by clicking on the pen icon in the lower right corner.
- At the bottom of the screen or above the keyboard if you are typing, you will see a (+) symbol inside a circle, tap this symbol.
- Click Scan documents to activate the camera and start the scanning process.
- At this point, the two icons at the top of the screen allow you to adjust the flash setting (on, off, or automatic), and the color setting (color, grayscale, black and white, or picture). And your iPhone will detect the document automatically, put a yellow square around it and scan it instantly.
Note: If this doesn’t work for you, you can click (Auto) in the top right corner and change to Manual mode. Now place your iPhone camera over the document and hit the Capture button at the bottom when you’re ready. It’s the same button you use to take a photo.
- Your photo will now appear ready to place the box around the document that you want to scan with an iPhone, then press (Keep Scan) to continue, or (Retake) to delete the file and start over.
- The camera will activate again, allowing you to scan another document using your iPhone, and once you have scanned all the pages you need, tap (Save) in the lower right corner to finish.
- The scanned document will now appear in your note.
How to Edit and Share a Scanned Document on iPhone:
If you click on the scanned document with an iPhone, you will be able to crop the image, change color settings, and rotate the image. You can also press (+) in the lower left corner to add another image to the scanned document, or click on the trash can in the lower right to delete the document from your iPhone.
Click the share button in the top right corner (it’s an icon for a square with an arrow pointing up). This will give you the option to share your file via email, messaging app, or AirDrop. You can also save it to (Cloud) or iPhone based storage drive, or convert it to PDF.
How to Scan a QR Code on iPhone:
Documents aren’t the only item that you can scan with your iPhone. Another iOS 11 update included the addition of a QR code scanner, which Apple has seamlessly integrated into the camera app.
QR codes are barcodes that have a square matrix made up of small white and black squares. It was first used in the automotive industry in Japan in the mid-1990s, but is now used all over the world by companies that want to save you the hassle of having to type a specific web address.
And now it’s very fast and easy to access the web address associated with the QR code on your iPhone. And what you need to do:
- Open the camera and place it so that the entire QR code image is visible. And iPhone will detect the barcode and place a yellow box around it.
- Once scanned, a notification bubble will appear at the top of the screen. Click on this bubble to be taken to the website associated with the QR code.