Knowing how to block specific websites in the Chrome browser is extremely important, as it allows you to avoid sites that may spread viruses and malware to your computer to steal your personal data, or you may want to block certain websites because they contain inappropriate content.
Below, we will learn how to block specific websites in Google Chrome easily:
Note: Google does not offer a clear method that allows you to block websites in the browser, so in this article, we will use the free (BlockSite) extension, which allows you not only to block inappropriate or harmful websites but can also be used as a tool to focus and increase your productivity by blocking distracting sites, such as Facebook or YouTube, temporarily or permanently.
First: How to install the extension in the browser:
- Open the Google Chrome browser on a computer, then go to the Chrome web store.
- In the search box on the top left of the screen, type: BlockSite, then tap the first result on the right side of the screen.
- At the top of the screen that appears, click on the Add To Chrome option, then confirm the command again by clicking on the Add extension option in the popup that appears.
- After installing the add-on in the browser, a new tab will open for you, showing its terms and conditions, after reading it, click on the Agree option.
Second: How to Blacklist Sites Using Block Site:
- Click on the extension icon in the Google Chrome browser at the top right of the screen.
- In the window that appears, click on the “Agree” option, then click the gear icon at the top of the window.
- A new browser tab will open.
- In this window, in the box above, enter the URL of the website you want to block.
- Click on the (+) button on the right side in the same box to add the site to the blacklist.
- Now the extension will block the site from working in your browser.
- If you try to enter the site that you have blocked, you will see the following page:
Note: If you want to unblock any website, simply click on the red (-) sign on the right side of the relevant website in the list of blocked sites below.