Reports indicate that spy applications and online tracking software have witnessed a significant increase since the start of the shutdowns in March due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, compared to January and February 2020.
Spyware and surveillance technologies allow people to secretly monitor others through their devices without their consent or knowledge. Apps publicly sold online can help someone track text messages and calls, track your location remotely, and even access the camera to spy on what you’re doing.
No one should snoop on your phone or laptop, but this is exactly what happens if you have spyware installed in some way on your devices, as these programs are designed to be invisible and difficult to detect.
So if you suspect that someone is spying on you via your smartphone; Today, we’ll learn how to detect spyware apps on your phone to stay safe and secure at the same time:
Although spy applications are designed to be hidden and difficult to detect, there are many warning signs that indicate that your phone is hacked, including: a high temperature, consuming mobile data quickly or the battery depleting quickly while not in use, and you may also see notifications Don’t expect it, or the phone turning on or off is longer than usual. And if you notice any of these problems in your phone, you can do the following:
1- Check the apps that consume the phone’s resources:
- Go to the settings on your smartphone.
- Click on Wireless & Network
- Click on the option Data usage.
- Here you will see a list of all applications installed on your device and their consumption of mobile data, review them all, and if you find an application that you did not install that is consuming phone data then remove it immediately.
- Go back to settings again.
- Tap on the apps and notifications option where you can scan all apps to check for apps that you haven’t installed.
- You can also go to the Security section, and look for Security Settings menu items that don’t look right, or that you didn’t notice before.
2- Check out Accessibility Services:
- Go to the settings on your phone.
- Click on Advanced Options.
- Tap on the Accessibility option. Here you will see a list of options that you can customize in your phone.
As accessibility services allow applications to change settings, and do a lot of other things that play the role of the user, which makes access to this permission very useful for spy applications, and then just make sure to grant this type of access to the antivirus application only and not to any other application.
3- Use one of the specialized tools:
If you unlock your phone and you can’t access something, there is a better solution; It is the use of one of the specialized tools to detect spyware applications, such as:
4- How to avoid becoming a victim of espionage:
As with all aspects of digital protection, you should take precautionary measures first. If you discover that you are being spied on by a potentially violent person, before doing anything you must inform the local authorities in your area. In some cases, it is easier to replace Your smartphone completely, then make sure that no one can install spy apps in your new phone, through the following steps:
- Protect the phone with a strong password that you do not share with anyone.
- Install a reliable antivirus app, and check your phone regularly.
- Make sure to change the passwords for all of your accounts, and don’t share them with anyone.
- Download apps only from official sources, such as: Google Play.