The positive 1-1 draw was decided by the Moroccan national team’s confrontation with its host, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, in the match that was held between them, this Friday evening, at the “Al-Shuhada” stadium in Kinshasa, in the first leg of the play-off round of the Qatar 2022 World Cup qualifiers, and Morocco will host the return match next Tuesday.
DR Congo vs Morocco
Yuan Wesa scored the goal for the Democratic Republic of the Congo in the 12th minute of the match, and Tariq Tisoudali scored the equalizer for Morocco in the 76th minute of the match.
Ryan May missed a penalty kick for the Moroccan national team in the 54th minute of the match, with a strange shot wide of the goal.
The return match between the two sides is scheduled to take place at the Mohammed V Stadium in Casablanca, Morocco, on March 29.
The composition of the Moroccan national team was as follows:
- Goalkeeper: Yassine Bounou
- Defenders: Sami Mai – Nayef Akrad – Roman Sais
- Midfield: Adam Massena – Amran Loza – Sofiane Amrabat – Salim Amlah – Ashraf Hakimi
- Attack: Ryan May – Youssef Al-Nusairi.
While the formation of the Democratic Republic of the Congo came as follows:
- Goalkeeper: Joel Kaisumba
- Defenders: Mukoko Amale – Ngonda Muzinga – Christian Luyendama – Chacil Mbemba
- Midfield: Edo Kaembe – Samuel Mutosami – Dimbrink O’Makani
- Forwards: Yuan Wesa – Chadrick Akolo – Bakambu
Morocco surpassed the group stage, topping its ninth group with 18 points, a vast difference from second-placed Guinea-Bissau, with 6 points, Guinea (3rd with 4 points), and Sudan (fourth with 3 points).
For its part, the Democratic Republic of the Congo topped Group X with 11 points from 3 wins, two draws, and a loss, one point ahead of Benin, who came second with 10 points, Tanzania third with 8 points, and Madagascar fourth with 4 points.